6 Things You Can Do to Keep Your Dryer Healthy and Happy
January 1, 2018
We depend on our appliances to make things easier. From time to time, they need repairs. When we need oven repairs, washing machine repairs and other kinds of repairs, it can cost a lot. The cost for appliance repairs in 2014 went anywhere from $254 to $275. There are things you can do to keep your appliances running better for longer. Here are some things you can do to care for your dryer.
- Never overload it. There are a lot of people out there who want to save time doing their laundry by adding a lot of clothing and linens to the dryer. The problem is that it takes a lot longer to get clothing and other items clean when you put too much in the machine. When you put your items in, an important part of the process is the introduction of air to dry your items. When there are too many things in your machine, that air cannot get in and your items will not dry. You can also cause your machine to break down.
- Do not skip the fabric softener. This does a few things for your dryer. It removes static electricity and makes your items softer. If you use dryer sheets, you end up leaving your machine coated in a residue on its surface. This can cause grease, oil, dust and other nastiness to stick to the surface. In time, this will end up in your filter where it will cause clogs and may lead to a reduced efficiency or worse. Liquid softening products will get your stuff softer without leaving that residue.
- Do not neglect your filters. There are filters all over your home. You need to check your HVAC filter to keep that system running smoothly. Your lint filter should be cleaned every time you do a load of laundry. When you leave the lint in the filter, it can make the unit dry less efficiently and make the motor work harder, that can lead to a break down and expensive repairs. It is easy to clean the lint filter.
- Wipe down the inside of your dryer. Every now and again, you should take some time to clean the surface of the inside of your machine. This takes just a few minutes. Take a damp cloth and remove any dust or oil that has accumulated on the surface of your machine. This will keep your items from getting dirty again from the residue in the machine and keep it running smoothly.
- Check the vents. You should check the vents for your dryer from time to time. You may notice a build up of lint, debris and dust in the vent system. When there is too much of this in your system, your machine will not run as well and can lead to the motor breaking down. It does not take a long time to check and clean your vents and the vent system.
- Pat attention to your dryer. When you are cleaning your clothing and items, pay attention to how long it takes to dry your belongings. If it starts to take longer to dry your sheets or clothing, that could be an indication that your dryer needs some care. If your items are taking longer to get dry or if you notice they are cold when you finish a drying cycle, your first option is to check the filter. If that is not the problem, you may have to bring in an appliance expert. You should also watch your unit to see if it stays balanced while it is working. If you see that it is rocking or moving when you are using it, you may have a problem. By paying attention to how your dryer is working, you will be able to see when there is a problem with its operation.
Dryers and washing machines make our lives a lot easier. Keeping them working smoothly will save us time and money in the long run and does not take a lot of effort. Following these tips can help you make sure your dryer works the way you want it to for a long, long time.