Fire or Water Damage? Don’t Try to Clean up Water Yourself, Find out Why You Need to Hire a Professional!
February 7, 2014
Fire and water damage restoration is an unfortunate, yet necessary residential and commercial cleaning services that are necessary after a building or home suffers damage from a fire, flood or a storm. Research from 2010 found that in the United States, there were 362,100 residential building fires. After a fire is put on in a residential or commercial building, if there is no large structural damage, the building can be revived if the building has gone through the proper fire and water damage restoration.
The water used to put out a fire, or water that has entered a building from a storm or flood is imperative to be cleaned up. In fact, water damage is the 3rd largest cause of homeowner loss. Water and moisture that has not been properly removed from a building can result in the growth of black mold. In order to grow, mold requires moisture. Additionally, molds grow best in warm, damp and humid conditions, black mold spreads by making spores. Although some mold species can obtain moisture from humidity within the air, most black mold detection in buildings are caused from water damage.
If you’re home has experienced water damage from either a fire, frozen pipes that have busted, a storm, or even a flood, it is extremely important to have professional mold remediation contractors come to properly remove the moisture from your home. Depending on the length of exposure and volume of black mold inhaled or ingested, symptoms can manifest as chronic fatigue, headaches, fever, irritation to various areas including the eyes, mucous membranes of the mouth, nose and throat, as well as other symptoms such as sneezing, rashes, and chronic coughing. In severe cases of exposure to black mold, symptoms can include extreme nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and/or nose.